« Home | Will you take $1 for this $20 item? » | We'll be in a van by the river » | The next Sure commercial » | Stone's 1st Birthday » | Violated » | Tonight we cuddled to "Stairway to Heaven" » | 36 Days Later » | Pure Unadulterated Madness » | 50 More » | Sob Story »

It's always something with us

(Last night, 7:00pm, Central & Woodlawn)

Me: Oh my God! Oh my God!

Him: What?

Me: We are out of gas!!!!

Him: WHAT?

Me: WE-ARE-OUT-OF-GAS!!!!

(the car has died, we are quickly coasting to a stop)

Me: WHAT DO I DO?!?!

Him: Pull into the middle lane!

Me: There IS NO middle lane! That is on-coming traffic b/c of contruction!!!

Me: OH MY GOD!

Him: Pull into a driveway, quick!

Me: (taking my sweet time to choose a driveway good enough for our car to die in)

Me: (making the turn...)

Him: DO NOT HIT THE BRAKE

Me: Too late, now what?

(Dead Car........)

Yes, I ran out of gas last night. First time ever. I didn't even know it was possible to actually run out of gas. We called AAA to bring gas and while Shel was on the phone I went to the door to tell the people why we were loitering in their driveway.

This older woman, probably in her late sixties, answered the door. I apologized profusely and told her what we were doing. She invited me in, I said no thank you. A few minutes later she came out and offered us a gas can and a ride to the gas station. This was nice b/c AAA was going to take an hour! Shelton agreed to go along with her and she insisted he just take the car by himself. He of course told her he didn't feel comfortable. She continued to insist and explained that she had already had a few beers! She leaned over and whispered to me, "I like to have a few beers while I watch the news." By 7:00pm, there have already been like 3 or 4 news casts! So she's schnockered.

So, off Shelton went in search of gas, leaving me and our little dog behind as collateral. We talked about her recent retiring and how we are in the middle of moving. Shelton returned and off we went with our five dollars worth of gas.

We spent the entire night laughing that we could not believe I had actually driven the car out gas. It died, folks. The car was dead in the middle of a busy street under construction that had been narrowed to only two lanes. We were in the middle of screwed-town! But we handled it with the same grace and composure we handle the daily tragedy we encounter.

Tonight we're dropping by our new friend's house with beer and a gift card for gas. We figure it's the least we could do for someone who was so unbelievably generous and helpful. You just don't find people like that these days and we were so fortunate to have landed in her driveway.